Jul 29, 2010

Your veena in my mind

তোমার বীণা আমার মনোমাঝে

Your Veena plays deep in my heart
At times I hear, at times I miss
At times I hear it not

When the skies quivering with songs
Whisper secrets into the earth
Amidst that, in sudden tumult
Dance within, boundless dreams galore

In your assembly, O Teacher*
This ardent heart, in excitement
Plays out notes discordant.

When I stroll in Your lotus-garden
Restless gusts of breeze
Distract me from my way

Awakens Your tune in the nights of spring
In accord with the crimson dust
Rouging the branches of Ashok*
Afloat that tune, I wish to drift
On swift wings of the buzzing bee
My mind oblivious of itself

Why in veils, does mist enfold me
Why is light defiled by darkness
I cower in embarrassment.

Another version by Subrata Majumdar

Deep within my heart you play your Veena;
I hear, but miss sometimes, and hear no more!
When your music stirs the sky around
And makes it whisper in the ears of the earth
The secrets of its heart,
Dreams unbound gather in heaps.
All of a sudden, in my mind
And dance with discordant rapture.
Oh, supreme Player of Veena*,
My yearning heart joins Your concert
With mad unmelodious tunes.

I vow to tread Your lotus-garden
But fail for distracting winds.
Your music fills the evening air of Phalgoon**
And imparts reddish tinge
To pollens in Ashok*** branches.
I race for the music in deep absorption
With swift humming wings of bees.
But mists cast veils,
And make light cloudy dim.
My eyes fail, deeply ashamed.

*The original Bengali word  Beenapani stands for Saraswati - the Goddess of Learning, Music and Arts. The veena is a musical instrument that represents her perfection of all arts and sciences. 

**Phalgoon, the first month of spring in Bengal

***Ashok, a tree common to Bengal, with crimson flowers in spring

No comments:

Post a Comment