May 5, 2010

Light of mine O Light

আলো আমার, আলো ওগো, আলো ভুবন-ভরা
aalo aamaar aalo ogo

Light of mine, O Light, lighting up the world
Light flooding my eyes, light seizing my heart
Dances light, it dances, my friend, in my life breath
Plays light, it plays, my friend, playing on my heart strings
Awakens sky, gallops the wind, laughs all of earth.

In streams of light, have raised their sail
thousands of butterflies
In waves of light, have danced in thrill
Mallika Malati*

Clouds golden, gold in clouds, countless are jewels
Leaves laughing, laugh in leaves, endless are delights

Mallika Malati*: flowers

1 comment:

  1. Would have surely loved a translation on the whole song rather than a translateion of the song word by word. For example, "Alo Hridhay Hara" in the second - Hara is a corrupted form of sankrit haran (to steal). Wouldn't "stealing" be more appropriate than "seizing"? Stealing has also poetic connotation such as Krishna stealing Radha's heart - which is very apt in this situation I gather.

    ReplyDelete