Jan 4, 2011

In pretence of pious prayer

তোমার পূজার ছলে তোমায় ভুলেই থাকি
tomar pujar chholey tomay bhulei thaki

In pretence of pious prayer
I remain oblivious of You
I fail to grasp when You slip away

I find not a way to Your feet
From behind the floral garlands
Luminous lamps, fragrant fumes

I conceal You in a veil of hymns

I make false fanfare to see You
When my own eyes thirst for a glimpse
Crying out to You in distress

What need have I of the temple
A place I will make
In one corner of my own heart
In simplicity and silence
I will call out to You.

- 28th March 1917

2 comments:

  1. A version by Anindya Chaudhuri:

    In pretence of prayer, I forget Thee
    Only to realise You have deserted me
    The garlands at thy feet
    The incense sticks that burn
    The candles that are lit
    Around thy holy urn
    Create an endless street
    As I struggle to reach thy feet
    Wishful longing of mine to see thy radiant glow
    Tempest of tears, in streams do they flow
    Temples, churches, Thy sacred abode
    Will never ever be my road
    Deep inside my heart will dwell
    Thy cosy seat, Thy Holy bell
    Feelings profound in a silent song
    To let you know where I belong

    ReplyDelete
  2. A version by Suman Dasgupta

    In worship of your images
    So stupefied I've become,
    ...That thoughts of You, O Lord
    Have slipped my forgetful mind.
    I knew not
    When You deserted me.

    Garlands, incense sticks, holy smoke
    Are all at your fore
    Shielding You from me,
    Not giving a chance to touch Your feet.
    Have let Yourself drown, O Lord
    In loud chanting of hymns.

    Futile are these grandeurs
    Laid out for the meeting with You, O Lord.
    When my thirst craving eyes
    Can themselves discover Youself easily.

    Why you do have
    To visit temples,
    If you can lay down your prayer-mat
    At one corner of your own heart?
    In simplicity and in silence
    I can offer my prayer to You.

    ReplyDelete