Sep 15, 2010

A brimming wave of tears

ও চাঁদ, চোখের জলের লাগল জোয়ার
o chaand, chokher joler laglo jowar
(audio)

A brimming wave of tears
Surges in my ocean of sorrow
Dear Moon,  do you hear
The secrets whispered
From one brink to another?

I was moored at familiar shores
When the harness suddenly unleashed.
Tugged adrift, I sailed away
To strange destinies.

Seekers have reached their ports,
Yet I am discombobulated
In a darkness
of haunting lights.

In my passionate desire to be lost
Quaint pathways are launched,
And I am nudged on impulsively.
The wild soul who spurs me on
Laughs in the curious dark.



(another version by Rumela Sengupta)

A tidal wave of tears
Swells and brims over
Deluging the shores
Of my sea of woe

My raft unmoored
From the shores of the known
Nudged by winds
Reaches a shore unknown

Wayfarers on the quay
Have all gone their own way
Lost and adrift I am
Directionless in the dark night
Vision of an aurora in my eyes

The path beckons to me
With an impatient tug
Urging me to lose my way
Fogging my sense of direction
That crazed friend of mine
Chuckles in the darkness




- September 1924

1 comment:

  1. My Translation:

    High tide of tears in the ocean of pathos
    filled to the brim -- both sides seem together.

    My boat -- anchored at a familiar edge,
    broke off by the tide
    pushed by wind
    to land unknown.

    Travelers passed us by
    on all sides,
    Me -- overwhelmed in blinding light
    amongst this directionless darkness.

    That Impatience of losing my way
    takes me away to unknown roads
    Crazy wind confusing my direction sense,
    smiles in the depth of darkness.

    ReplyDelete