Jan 26, 2010

What is this luminance touching your eyes

বঁধু, কোন্ আলো লাগল চোখে
Bodhu kon alo laglo chokhey

What is this luminance touching your eyes, o bride,
Like rays streaming down from the heavens?
Your heart anticipating this grace
Through a lifetime of restive nights
With a dream that lay dormant
In deep, pensive darkness
Forever despondent with a lover's longing

(another version by Rumela)

 My friend, what is this glow that lights up my eyes!
As if the luminance of the skies came and touched it!

Down the ages through night and day
My heart awaited you with great expectation
Dwelling in a dense darkness of despondence
Many a lifetime went by pining for my beloved

How do I pass in friendless desolation!
This eternal night of pain
In an arbour where buds are yet to bloom
With a morose heart bereft of melody

O beauteous one!
Do bring a garland for me to put around your neck
And accept you as my consort
Lift my veil and look upon my face
See my blushing smile in bright radiance

4 comments:

  1. I shall be obliged if you kindly suggest be any internet site where I shall get Gitobitan Bengali lyrics in English alphabet!
    Sincerely yours
    Dr. Shamimul Moula
    MBBS, M.Phil.Ph.D. MPH
    Dhaka
    Bangladesh
    email: shamimul.moula@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    I was wondering if by some error, the complete translation of this song has not been posted. It appears to be incomplete.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for pointing out the incompleteness. Another version has been added

    ReplyDelete
  4. Translation of বধূ is bride. But this song says বঁধু which is shortened version of বন্ধু, a way of addressing lover as a dear friend

    ReplyDelete