Oct 27, 2010

Whatever you may say

তোরা যে যা বলিস ভাই
tora je ja bolish bhai amar shonar horin chai 

Whatever you may say
My heart is set on one
Thief of hearts, fleet of foot
The golden deer I want

One who wanders and thrills,
Evading sight
Ensnared who cannot be
When within reach
Pushes to slip away
Blinding the eye
I will still chase the one
Futile be it
Whether or not I get
Lost in myself,
Amidst fields and forests
I lose myself

You can buy what you want
And fill up your store room
What cannot be acquired
Why does it stir my mind so
Lost the little I had
In search for what is not
Accumulations wane
But do I cry in vain?
I am at peace I smile
I have no deep sorrow
Lost in myself,
Amidst fields and forests
I lose myself

2 comments:

  1. A version by Anindya Chaudhuri

    Say what you may I know what I want
    Elusive it may be , a futile hunt
    One who enthrals with his presence but evades my sight
    One whom no chains can bind
    One who evades my reach from morn to night
    I see him hither thither and again I go blind
    I wander in pursuit –I know it isn’t right
    Darkness around me in broad day light.
    You spend your fortune acquiring the cheap
    I sow the seeds which no man can reap.
    What I had, I wasted
    In pursuit of the vain
    Think not that I lament
    That I am left with no grain
    I live life I have a laugh
    I am miles away from pain

    ReplyDelete
  2. it must be so difficult to capture the nuances of Bangla language. But both the versions are close enough... Well done! (y)

    ReplyDelete