Oct 31, 2009

In cycles of tears and laughter

কান্না হাসির দোল দোলানো
kanna hashir dol dolano (audio)


In cycles of tears and laughter,
Winter and spring, 
I shall present an offering of songs,
Till eternity.

Is this your intention, is this why
You have lavished a wreath on my heart,
Fragrant with melodies?

Is it why I am forever robbed of rest,
Why all floodgates have been smashed in my heart,
Is it why the drift muses and heaves
Through my inner wilderness,
All light and shadows vibrating with the breath.

Is this your intention, is this why
You have lavished a wreath on my heart,
Fragrant with melodies?

I have prepared no rest for the nightfall.
I falter in the tasks of my day.
But there is no repose in my task-less service.

How could I find peace in this earth?
It is the the tumult which ignites my lute,
My blazing soul stoking each symphony.

Is this your intention, is this why
You have lavished a wreath on my heart,
Fragrant with melodies?



(another version by Rumela Sengupta)

Swaying between laughter and tears
Swing the seasons - spring and winter
Throughout my life amidst such days
My offering of songs I bear
Is this your divine will?
Is this why you grace me
With a garland fragrant with melody

Is that why sleep eludes my eyes
The defences of my heart come apart
A billowing breeze runs amok
In the deep forests of my perennial pain
Tremulous shivers ripple through
All of my light and shadows dark
Of each and every night and day
Is this your divine will?
Is this why you grace me
With a garland fragrant with melody

A shelter for the night I haven’t built
I fall behind in my day’s work
I find no relief in a task-less worship

Peace there is none amidst this world
Discontentment and disquiet
Pluck at the strings of my Veena
Thus bringing it to life
Ever stoking the fiery blaze
That sears my soul to yield its song
Is this your divine will?
Is this why you grace me
With a garland fragrant with melody

No comments:

Post a Comment