Feb 21, 2012

Don’t keep me in darkness

আর রেখো না আঁধারে
ar rekho na andhare (audio)

Don’t keep me in darkness anymore,
Let me see, O let me see
In you let me see my own self

If you make me cry, let me cry out my heart
I can bear no more the weariness of comfort
Let my eyes be washed clean by my tears
Let me see, O let me see

I do not know this dark shadow
That embraces me like a friend
And beclouds my mind
Casting a deep illusion

One dream after another pile up
A burden weighing me down
My lifelong pursuit is but in vain -
That light of mine lies hidden
On the other shore of night
Let me see, O let me see

- 20th April 1926


Another translation by Anandamayee Majumdar:

Don't keep me in darkness
now, let me see.
Show me my heart
in your seat.

If you wish, I'll cry.
Comfort makes me guilty.
Wash my eyes,
let me see.

I can't make out
this deep shadow,
but how it looks
like a dear rainbow.

My dreams
pile up in heaps,
my life's heavy
with an empty wish.

My light is eclipsed,
let me see.

No comments:

Post a Comment