Nov 1, 2009

Beyond the edge of life and death


জীবনমরণের সীমানা ছাড়ায়ে
jeebono moroner sheemana chharaye
(audio)

Beyond the edge of life and death
My friend! there you are awaiting
Radiant is your royal throne
In the barren sky of my heart
In what hope
In which intimate ecstasy
Do I gaze thither, reaching out my arms

Silent night having cleansed your feet
Has rolled out it’s dark tresses beneath

What is this song that floods the world
Bursting forth from your divine strings
The cosmos reverberates to its tune
And I lose myself in its deep pathos


( Another version by Anandamayee Majumdar: )


Beyond the verge of life and death
there you stand, my old friend.

The sky is silent in my heart
Your seat, flushed with radiance.
What hidden hope in me

what deepest ecstasy
with which I raise my hands upward?

The silent night spread its curls
with love and honor at your feet.

What a song floods the earth
going down from your strings?
Everything now melts and moves
I am lost to melodies.

1 comment:

  1. These transcreations are so religiously close to the original, and yet, so alive in their expression. I had hoped they would come alive with a pen like yours and Arunabha's some day, and now my hope is finally fulfilled.

    ReplyDelete