Nov 10, 2009

My eyes once shed light


chokher aloy dekhechilem
audio: Debabrata Biswas

My eyes once shed light
on the world outside.
As darkness arrives
I turn to my heart.

Sometimes I longed for you
looked up high heaven
and you kept me at bay.
Even then, you found my heart.
But now, I see you inside
clear in your own sunshine.

Sometimes, we just played,
now the playthings are broken
by winds that turned the world.

We had enough of play.
It's time to feel the warmth.
My broken strum is lost,
my heart sings the song.

(Another version by Rumela Sengupta:)

With the sight of my eye
I looked for you outside of me
Inside of me I'll see
When light there is no more

When you elude my embrace
My heart you permeate
Aglow in your own refulgence
Now I gaze at you

You and me, we played in my little playroom
Wrecked by storms, the doll-house is now in ruins

Let it be then, this mere play
Unleash the spirit within
The source of all life-force
Broken be my Veena
I will play on
Strumming on my heartstrings

2 comments:

  1. The first one is so poetic. Is it the translation by Gurudev himself?
    Giridharan.U.R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first one is by Anandamayee Majumdar

    ReplyDelete