Nov 26, 2009

You made me embrace countless strangers

কত অজানারে জানাইলে তুমি
kawto awjanare janaile tumi (audio)
(audio - Suchitra)

(link to Tagore's own translation)

You made me embrace
countless strangers,
gained me new homes,
connected me with the far,
united me with the unseen.

When I travel, I am shaky of my road.
But however the new turns out
I forget your ancient presence.

In life through death,
every recess of the world
you be my lead, timeless ally.

Once I have known you
fear is released, limits crumble,
the other becomes me.

You flourish in everything,
be mine to see forever.



(another version by Rumela Sengupta)

You made known many an unknown
A refuge You gave in many a home
You brought close, my friend, afar who was
Linking me in a fraternity with the ones who were not my own

When I leave the comfort of home
I wonder with trepidation
What may or may not be
Amidst the new, my known You are
Time and again, how I forget

In life, in death, in this whole world
Whenever wherever You take me
You, my ever familiar friend
Will acquaint me with all

Knowing You, stranger there is none
There are no bars, there is no fear
Embracing each and every one
May I sight Your awakening

No comments:

Post a Comment