Nov 22, 2009

Not just with words, my friend

শুধু তোমার বাণী নয় গো
shudhu tomaar baani noy go bondhu
(audio)

Not just with words, my friend and beloved
At times, do bless my soul with your caress
This fatigue of way, this craving within
I know not how to satiate this thirst
Tell me O do tell me
This darkness is suffused with your being

This heart of mine wants to give, not just to receive
Trudges along burdened with all it has amassed

Reach out your hand, place them in mine
I will clasp it with all my might
Holding close your touch so precious
I will make pleasing this solitary journey of mine

2 comments:

  1. Don't remember the full Bengali version word by word. But this is one of the striking philosophies of Tagore, often reflected in his works such as Gora or Chokher Baali. A poet is a sensual person - only word would not suffice to satisfy the hunger within. The physical proximity is as important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's the critique: missive means letter (which is written). wonder if

    it's appropriate for Vani - which has come from the vach root of from the

    Sanskrit language, meaning which is spoken.

    Parosh - is a corrupted form (by Swarbhakti) of Sankrit Sparsha (meaning

    touch). Feel "touch" is more appropriate here than the word "sensation".

    Puja is very close to earthly love of blood and sweat. The Vaishavas, for

    example, imagine there's only one male in this whole universe - Krishna

    and rest all are Gopis and Radhas. And there's this passionate yearning

    from the Bhaktas for Krishan much like that between the lover and the

    beloved in real world. In Rabindranath's songs such sentiments are often

    seen too. "Blessing my spirit" does not bring out the earthly love that

    is perhaps expressed by the bengali song.

    ReplyDelete